Friday 3 June 2011

Inspired, but Forgetful.


Yesterday I had an awesome idea for a blog post. I was laying on my loveseat and it came to me. I remember lounging there and brainstorming it for a bit. It was such a great idea that I knew that it would resonate with me until I got to my PC. I considered sending myself a text on my phone, but the idea was so inspiring that I didn’t deem it to be necessary. I was excited about it and couldn’t wait to write about it. It wasn’t a product push (for a change) but it was exactly the type of thing that I was planning on writing about when I decided to start blogging. Now, it is that time of day. Mid afternoon, I have been fed and caffeinated. It is sunny, it is Friday and I am energetic and in good spirits. I pull up Microsoft Word. I forgot my idea.

Have you ever tried to recall something from your memory, only to discover that it is possible to achieve a complete blankness of the mind? That is what happened to me today. It is similar to trying to figure out what movie a certain actor was in, or the name of a forgotten acquaintance. The more I tried to recall the idea, the less coherent thoughts I had at all. It could possibly be the most frustrating thing ever! It’s almost as if I could feel the proverbial wheels turning in my cranium, trying to ignite some sort of useful spark to light up the ol’ memory. Nothing. So, here I am, blogging about my inability to remember the good idea I had for my blog.

Going forward, I will make sure I document my ideas as they come. This has happened before, and I should have learned from those experiences, but I wasn’t as excited about those ideas. I always dismissed it as a fleeting inspiration that must have not been that important to me after all, since I had forgotten it. I do often text message myself ideas as they come, (and yes, sometimes I get excited thinking someone is texting me even though the vibration comes in tandem with a “message sent” notification) but haven’t revisited any of those ideas yet, as I am seldom at a loss for what to write about.  Today would have been a great day for that, but I was so inspired by my inability to remember my initial inspiration that I felt compelled to write about that instead.

Does this happen to anyone else? Or are you all more proactive in documenting your ideas? What method do you use to prevent good ideas from slipping away?

Hope you all have a great weekend! Cheers!

5 comments:

  1. That's happened to me too. I'm so busy I often forget those fleeting moments of inspiration. I either email them to myself immediately on my phone, or run to blogger and save a new post with the idea so I can come back to it later. Hope you remember the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, no. I just decide when I feel like writing a blog and I hope I have an idea when I'm sitting down, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, ya, that's what ends up happening to me too, as I always forget my ideas! I also have a few ideas that I want to write about and know I wont forget, but they're either big subjects that I have to be in the right frame of mind to ponder on, or they require research.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This happens to me all the time! I always try to keep a notepad on me for fleeting ideas.I went through a stage of writing down all my dreams first thing in the morning too, which weirdly I found trained me to recall memories much better than before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think it happens all the time to most people - i find they come back eventually, but somehow seem like less good ideas the 2nd time around.
    my last one was to capture lots of bees and freeze them and then glue them to straws to make a flying formation and hang a banner off it saying "wasp bad, bee cool". still good enough to do, but not as awesome as i originally remember thinking :)
    like lydia i usually have a couple of saved blog posts that are just the title to remind me.

    ReplyDelete